Originally built in 1901, the Klein Windhoek valley was mostly covered by grass and bush, with just a few houses and footpaths in between. At Am Weinberg Estate however, the slopes were covered by rows of vines oriented in a north/south direction to allow the vines an even sunlight distribution. The hillside vineyards were known for being difficult to work with but the extreme conditions suited the vines, with their roots drawing deeply on the land’s mineral content. The wine estate still existed in 1950 when the Stoermer family bought the house, as was the case when the previous owner, Mrs. M Garbade (née Stoermer) entered the world.
In later years, the garden with its own warm water spring was used for growing vegetables and flowers and keeping geese and fowls. Lovingly restored, the house was opened as the Am Weinberg Restaurant in August 2004; becoming one of Windhoek’s most popular restaurant offering.